skip to main content

Community Information

North Babylon in the Historical Perspective

North Babylon, once named South Deer Park, has its beginnings around the year 1803. By the late 1800's it was reputed not only for its bucolic landscape but for such great families as the Guggenheims, the Weeks, the Fosters, the Belmonts and the Corbins.

The 24-room Augustus Belmont country home, formerly located near Belmont State Park, for a time housed the State Parks Commission Offices. When the current Long Island State Park Commission building was constructed in 1935 through a WPA project, the Belmont home was destroyed.

Deer Park Avenue, formerly Babylon Lane, was the stagecoach route before the Long Island Railroad built a line directly into Babylon Village. Deer Park Avenue was roughly paved for the first time in the late 1920's and continued to be the locale for many a race: horse races, sack races, foot races, and by the early 1930's, auto races.

From the construction of the first school in 1810, to the Deer Park Avenue School, which was built in 1932 and declared an historical landmark in 1989 and renamed Marion G. Vedder Elementary School in 1990, to our current seven schools housing over 5146 students annually, the North Babylon School District is the academic and social center of our thriving North Babylon community.


Saturday, Aug 13, 2022 Facebook